Thursday, June 9, 2011

People are so nice!

Yesterday a momentous event occurred: My flip-flops that my mom got for me freshman year of BYU from the Dollar Store finally broke.  They should have broke on my way to the MTC yet because Heavenly Father loves me, they did not break until after.

How?  Because my roommate, Em, was nice enough to offer me a ride to the MTC; thus, my flip-flops did not fall apart on the way there and I was able to go into the MTC and be taught by the missionaries because I had shoes on my feet.  As I was leaving the MTC, I got to the corner of University Parkway and 900 E and my one flip-flop totally busted.  So I took off my other one and continued my trek home.  I walked a fairly good distance, enjoying the warm sidewalks and cool grass, and trying to walk more quickly over the asphalt and road areas because those places were hotter.  And then who should pull up to give me a ride but my brother-in-law, Remick.  How blessed am I?  People are so nice!

Then this morning began "Get Lost in Utah County: Part III".

I hopped on the bus around 7:20 to get to my interview in Alpine at 10:20.  I made my transfer successfully and I'm enjoying the ride. As time passes, I know I'm getting closer and closer to my next transfer that will take me to the school, so I turn off my music and direct all my attention outside the window.  As I see the street signs change from N/S to E/W I feel hopeful that I'm on the right track because the All-Knowing-Google directed me that my transfer stop will be at 8:46 at State St and 695 E, and from there I'll walk to 700 E and 17 N.  No biggy, right?

Except that as the bus is cruisin' along, I see 300 E and then the next one is Main Street and the bus turns on Main Street and we're perpendicular to N/S again.  Great!  I inwardly freak out, pull the cord, and get off the bus and begin walking in the direction I just came from. Giving myself a silent pep talk about how I still have twenty minutes till the next bus comes to make the transfer, it's only a few blocks over, I'll totally make it.

Yet, as I walk down Main Street to State Street and south on State, the numbers change from 300 E to being in the Souths again. Thoroughly confused and not quite sure where I even am--I could see the G on the mountain so I thought that maybe I was in Pleasant Grove, but I really didn't know--so I began calling people.  First I called Terri because she's superwoman and can do anything. She didn't answer her phone so I left a message telling her I was lost but that I would continue to call other people.  Then I called Ally Gordon.  Then I called my former roommate Ashley Carter. Nothing worked. Then I tried Paige.  And Paige was my hero of the before-interview-time.  She came and found me and drove me to the school for my interview.

The interview went well. :)

Afterword, I was waiting outside because Terri had gotten a hold of me and she said she would come pick me up and take me to a bus stop so I wouldn't need to wait for the bus that would be coming at 1pm.  The girl who interviewed after me, Brittany, came outside. She and I had taken classes together at BYU and chatted for a few minutes.  Then she graciously offered me a ride back to Provo.  I called Terri, informed her of the change in plans, and rode off with Brittany.

I just need to make a public declaration of gratitude to these kind, caring people who have gone out of their way to help me in my car-less, shoe-less, and directions-challenged state. THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. haha. i'm glad the interview went well :)

    AAAAAND i'm pretty glad you didn't have to take the bus home. i was worried about that plan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now, Paige. I can take the bus. I promise. Yesterday was just a bad day...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...