Saturday, September 14, 2013

Last year and this year

I think that perhaps because I am a school teacher, my New Year's resolutions begin in January and resurface (or I make new goals) in August or September when school starts again.  Last year, my goals for the new school year consisted mainly of building up my running so that I could run for 10 miles before my birthday in October.  I made that goal.  After achieving that goal, I made several other goals for school that I won't go into.

This year, I guess I'm feeling more able (or more lacking in previous habits so I want to do better), so my goals are not to run 10 miles or even a mileage goal, but merely to run or exercise 2-3 times a week, reread the Book of Mormon, and play my violin regularly again.  I've been fulfilling my last goal by joining the American Fork Symphony.  So now, instead of getting up on Saturdays and running like I was doing a year ago, I'm getting to the junior high by 8 and rehearsing for two hours on Saturdays.  The pieces we're playing for our first concert are:







(non-video form: Symphonie espangole, 1st movement by Edouard Lola, Capriccio Espagnol by Rimsky-Korsakov, Slavonic March by Tchaikovsky, Pavane pour une infante defunte by Ravel, Harry Potter Symphonic Suite by John Williams arranged by Jerry Brubaker, and Berceuse and Finale (from "Firebird Suite") by Igor Stravinsky arranged by Merle J. Isaac). I'm playing in the second violin section and it's so fun to be playing in an orchestra again, since I haven't done that in four years.  

Violin, running, and French were all very important to me in high school.  They were still important in college but in different ways: I participated in the non-audition orchestra for three semesters my first three years, I minored in French studies, and I made sure that I ran at least once a week, usually on Saturdays before cleaning my apartment.  Now I'm slowly bringing them back into my life again in more quantity post-college.  I have French Club at school, running 2-3 times, and now orchestra.  Perhaps next year I will do more with French than just French Club; we'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...