Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 38: Blois et Chambord

Here is another post from my journal:

Friday, 4 juin 2010
We toured Blois and Chambord. Francois I lived in both places and made his mark on both of those with architecture, an F or the salamander everywhere. Blois is a conglomeration of four different styles of buildings and architecture.

Chambord is a hunting lodge that Francois I only went to 27 times; his son Henri II used it a lot more than him. Chambord was interesting because of the lack of furniture. It helped to give more of a feel for what the castle would have been like most of the time. Yet juxtaposed with the empty room and ash-stained fireplaces there were a few decorated and furnished rooms that were definitely rooms for royalty.

Double spiral staircase designed by Leonardo da Vinci

After wandering through Chambord, Grace, Judy, Ryan and I had lunch at a cafe. I got a galette with ham, egg and cheese, and then Ryan and I split a peach melba. It was sooo good! For dinner in Paris us three plus Mathilde went to a Senegalese restaurant. I got crabe farcie again and for dessert I got an ananas (pineapple) melba. It was so yummy! I think melbas are my favorite now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...