Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 40: Matisse & Chagall

After church we went to the Musee Matisse and the Musee Chagall (because they are free on the first Sunday of each month...maybe every Sunday but definitely the first Sunday). The Musee Matisse was interesting; there were a couple of paintings that I particularly liked his brushstrokes and/or use of color that I took a picture of (before I realized that taking pictures was interdit (forbidden)). His work reminded me a lot of the way that kids look at art and the world. I think that using Matisse's work as an example of line, color and shape would be really important to help kids understand those elements but also to help motivate older grades to actually try to be artistic.



The Musee Chagall was fantastic! I didn't know what to expect and as such I was thoroughly wowed by what I saw. He depicts a lot of Bible scenes and his layout and plot narrative and symbolism are very interesting. His use of color is phenomenal! I don't even know how he creates and uses color in the way that he does. I really like his work. He may actually have become my favorite artist--even more than Vermeer. I bought a book with his Bible paintings because I liked those so much.






I can't believe that I go back to Provo in six days. It has gone by so very very quickly. Ending the program in Nice has been a wonderful blessing though. The weather is so so wonderful. I swam in the Mediterranean yesterday. The water was the perfect temperature. And the beach is rocky so we didn't get sand everywhere. These next five days are going to fly by but I hope to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...