Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Finished the NGA & visited the Natural History Museum

I've done it! I finished exploring the National Gallery of Art! I took more pictures than I'm posting but I'll be using them for school projects, not to talk about, so here goes my last post about the NGA:
Pandora, Odilon Redon, 1910/1912
I loved the way the paint was applied in this painting.  It reminded me a lot of Minerva Teichert's art.  I liked the contrast between the muted colors in the background and the thicker paint and brighter colors in the foreground, especially the front right corner.

Four Dancers, Edgar Degas, 1899
The thing that impressed me the most about this painting was the movement of the dancers and the loose interaction between the paint and the black lines outlining the girls. In the audio tour, the curator suggests that Degas painted this almost like stop-action photography--that this is really just one dancer adjusting her strap and getting ready to dance.

Thoughts on the Natural History Museum:

  • It was fun, however, I don't know if I've ever wanted to have kids with me more at a museum than I did as I wandered through this museum. Kids would have a blast at this museum!
  • Cool displays.
  • Interactive features in every part--button pressing with video explanations, touching replicas, etc.
  • Needed a ticket to go into the live butterfly exhibit, but it is free on Tuesday to get a ticket. Score!


Dinosaur & Ancient Life section
Ocean life section
Center atrium
Mammals section
These next few photos remind me of when I was given a chrysalis in September 2009 and given instructions on how to care for it until it became a butterfly. I named my butterfly Yo Yo, in honor of Yo Yo Ma and his piece Butterfly's Day Out, which is my favorite song. It was a Painted Lady butterfly and I was so excited that I hadn't killed it.  The first picture is of my Yo Yo. The rest are from the live butterfly exhibit.
7 September 2009, Yo Yo, my Painted Lady butterfly
Live butterfly exhibit



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...