Wednesday, July 3, 2013

NGA: Spanish, French, British, American 18th & 19th Century Paintings

I've almost completed the second floor of the NGA. I only have half of a wing left--the 19th Century French collection. After doing that section, then I'll just have the first floor left and then I'll be done with tackling the NGA.  Especially since renovation work will be happening in both the East and West buildings for the next three years, I really want to make sure that I take my time and see everything, because I might not have that opportunity the next time (like how the first time I came two years ago I didn't take the time to go up the Washington Monument and I can't do that this summer since they're reinforcing it; I also should have booked a White House tour two years ago since I can't go probably anymore, ever).
Soap Bubbles, Jean Simeon Chardin, 1733-1734, French
Chardin was different from other French artists at this time. Instead of the Rococo pieces you'll see after this (Fragonard and Boucher are the important names to remember from the Rococo period).  Instead of the lighter colors and cupids, Chardin used a darker palette and focused on everyday scenes of everyday people, not just the aristocracy and their frivolities.
The Love Letter, Francois Boucher, 1750, French
 Very Rococo.  My favorite part from this painting: the dog. The dog looks so great!
Detail from The Love Letter

Blindman's Bluff, Jean Honore Fragonard, 1775/1780, French
 Again, Rococo at it's best. HUGE canvas with soaring trees and sky. What's it named after? The little scene going on at the bottom and very small.
Detail from Blindman's Bluff

Wivenhoe Park, Essex, John Constable, 1816, British
 Interesting facts about this painting: Constable painted on site. He had to add on three inches to both sides of the canvas because his commissioner wanted more of the scene to be included. That is why there is a cow in the lower left and a boat in the lower right, to try to mask the seams.
The Washington Family, Edward Savage, 1790-1796, American
 This was the first informal painting of an important family.  History: George Washington married Martha Custis. Her two children grew up and had kids. Martha had four grandchildren. Her two children passed away and George decided to adopt two of the grandkids. They called her "Grandmother" and him "Papa."

Vermont Lawyer, Horace Bundy, 1841, American
 I just need you to mourn with me between the quality of Vermont Lawyer and this painting by Gilbert Stuart.  Vermont Lawyer was painted about fifty years after the Gilbert Stuart, and yet it lacks the depth, breadth, and quality of the Stuart painting. I was really disappointed by a lot of the American paintings in the 1800-1850s room.

Catherine Bras(s) Yates (Mrs. Richard Yates), Gilbert Stuart, 1793/1794, American

Brace's Rock, Eastern Point, Gloucester, Fitz Henry Lane, 1864, American
I'd like to visit here. It looks peaceful.
The Old Violin, William Michael Harnett, 1886, American
When this painting was originally on display, it had to have guards by it so that people wouldn't reach out and touch the canvas trying to see if it really was a painting.  Even still, it is behind glass so that people won't touch the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...