Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ten days

It's been ten days since Cody and I returned from DC.  In those ten days we have attended two weddings, one two-day graduation, I have had math training, back-to-school faculty welcome meeting, district meeting, third grade team meeting, and Open House.  School starts tomorrow.

Needless to say, I am exhausted. I was doing fine until today but man, I forgot how wiped out I get the first week of school.

Now, to go in order: Cody's younger sister got married last Wednesday.  We attended their sealing in the Salt Lake City, Utah temple...

Cody and me standing next to Cody's sister and her new husband, just outside the doors of the Salt Lake Temple
then went from there to help set up her reception at Wheeler Historic Farm in Cottonwood Heights area. After about four and a half hours of set-up, we attended the actual reception. Three hours later, we helped take it all down in an hour and a half. Also a funny thing that I thought of that day as I was getting my picture taken with the bride and all of her bridesmaids (of which I was one), is that I was the only one with my hair up. All the rest of the girls had their hair down. The funny thing is that, it used to be that after a certain age, it was a "privilege" to have your hair pinned up to show that you were a woman. Now it seems to be the opposite--have your hair down and show how beautiful it is.  I'm not complaining or judging (I have my hair down half the time, too), I just wonder when that switch in the female psyche happened in the Western world.

Then on Thursday, I went to math training and saw most of the faculty again for the first time in three months.  But the more important events of the day were that Cody's day one of graduation occurred. He was given the official "you're graduated" from President Cecil Samuelson, president of BYU. His parents, brothers, and us went to dinner that evening at Sizzler (Cody's choice; my family's traditions have rubbed off on him).
Cody and me after Thursday's ceremony
The next day, me, all of Cody's grandparents (except Papa John), plus his parents and brothers, and his cousin Shane, attended his college's graduation ceremony.  This was followed up by lunch at DP Cheesesteak's (another suggestion by Cody and it was a winner!). We were really happy that so many family members were able to be there for it, especially since most family members won't be able to make it to his higher-degree graduations.

Cody's parents, brothers, and me after graduation
Monday was my back-to-school faculty meeting and district meeting.  Yesterday was my third grade team meeting. And today was Open House.  I'll take some pictures of my classroom before school starts tomorrow.  I like it. It doesn't have an overt decoration theme, but it's simple, uncluttered, and open which I really like.

I miss DC. But I'm happy to be back.  I hope our paths really do take us back out there in the near future, like we hope they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...