Monday, June 24, 2013

Air & Space Museum and American History Museum (plus, Founding Farmers)

On Saturday, Cody and I went to visit the Air & Space Museum and the American History Museum.  We spent a full, engaged two hours at the Air & Space Museum.  However, by the time we got to the American History Museum we started feeling tired, especially knowing that we wouldn't be able to have lunch until 2:30, since we had a reservation at Founding Farmers with our friends at that time.

This was my second visit to the Air & Space museum; I first came two years ago with my friend Amanda on my graduation-present-to-self trip.  On this second visit, I was able to be not as overwhelmed by the sheer amount of history and displays as I was on my first visit.  The part that I liked most about this visit was seeing Cody's reaction to everything. I learned some new things about my husband, such as his fascination with drones and his project in middle school on satellites in which he even fabricated a model of a satellite.  I didn't realize how cool he thought planes and rockets were, but where else would I learn those things?  Needless to say, I handed the camera over to Cody for the pictures in this museum.

Trans-Antarctic Flight plane, Polar Star
An early racing plane
The evolution of flight
Cody and a fake astronaut
American-USSR Space Station
Original Wright Brothers plane
Drone, Predator
At the American History museum, Cody and I first explored the exhibit displaying the original flag from which the Star-Spangled Banner was inspired.  We couldn't take pictures of the flag since it is fragile, but it was neat seeing it.  We also meandered through the America at War exhibit and Presidency exhibit.  By that point we had reached our saturation point and our exhaustion point. We were tired, very hungry, and our legs hurt from walking and standing around all morning and early afternoon, but also probably a little bit from our walk to the Jefferson Memorial on Friday evening to watch the sunset.  We sat down on a bench by the stairs down and played one game of tic-tac-toe, several rounds of Hangman, and then walked slowly to Founding Farmers for our lunch reservation.

American whip Philadelphia that was sunk during the Revolutionary War.
It was found intact under water and brought up.
Me and Cody sitting on our bench in the American History museum being exhausted.
Founding Farmers. How do I describe this restaurant? Fresh. Delicious. Not cheap but not too expensive. Definitely needing another visit.  Cody and I really enjoyed our meals at this restaurant. We also had fun catching up with our friends from our previous ward in Provo. They moved out here to DC about a month before Cody came, and two months before me.  They're planning on staying here until they have to move somewhere else. It was nice getting their perspective on things and further restaurant suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...