Thursday, June 27, 2013

Books I've been reading lately

This past week and a half I've read some books that I never would have read if I wasn't married to a political science major doing an internship in Washington DC.  The first book is America, the Owner's Manual: Making Government Work for You by Senator Bob Graham.  It was required for Cody to read this book for an assignment that is due at the end of the summer.  Basically what the book outlines is the process whereby regular citizens can get involved in the government, the feelings that prompt an individual to get involved, and why it isn't as scary or meaningless as we seem to believe it is when our definition of civic engagement is to vote for president every four years and nothing more than that.  It was an interesting, easy to read book.  I'll be taking some of the principles that I learned about into my third grade classroom this next year, I think.  What better time to get involved then when you're passionate about something at 9 years old?

The second book I've read (and just finished) is entitled, The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by the Arbinger Institute.  While America, the Owner's Manual is good for Americans to read, The Anatomy of Peace is a book that every person should read.  It goes through how we invite conflict with others by the way that we view them--as objects or as people--and that even if we're offering to do something nice or cutting them a deal, if they know that we view them as objects, they will fight back, they'll respond with sarcasm and be unfair because they can feel that we don't view them as a person.  After learning about how we view people, the book goes through the reasons why we view people as objects: the boxes we're in (basically, different versions of pride: looking down or looking up pride), and how we can get out of those boxes so that we can begin viewing everyone as a person and stop the conflict that we are constantly inviting when we view everyone as an object.  This book is written in narrative form, much like The Peacegiver by James L. Ferrell, if you are familiar with that book.  I love that it's written in narrative format, instead of an instruction manual, because that's how humans learn! We learn through stories.  It gives you a lot to think about, and if you're brave enough (which I'm still deciding if I am), to discuss the things you learn about yourself with others (when do I view people as objects? Which boxes am I most comfortable in and that I use to justify viewing others as objects? etc.)  Very good read, highly recommend it.


Now I am about to embark on reading John Adams by David McCullough.  After reading 1776 in January, I'm really excited to read this biography. I like McCullough's style and I like biographies. Plus, I watched the movie they made based on this book a few years back with my Dad and really enjoyed the movie.


1 comment:

  1. OOO that peace one looks good. I could probably use a bit of that in my life at the moment! Can't wait until we get stuff in the mail to prove we live here so I can get my library card!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...