Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My story aka The Monster--alive once more

Judging by the last save date on my documents, it has been nearly three years since I have opened up, looked at, worked on, saved, or in short, done anything with regards to the story that I began exactly ten years ago.  However, despite all the setbacks that seemed to inevitably come with school, work, dating, etc. I have decided that since I have so much leisure time now, I might as well make myself useful.  Next to the search for a job (which takes up it's own space of time each day) and scripture study (which I'm finally giving it more time, as it deserves), I've been dividing my time into four parts: reading, watching movies, drawing/painting, and now, writing.

Since it has been so long, and since it is in all respects "finished", it now needs to be weeded, reworked, and made to fit the moldings of my mind and goal for it.

This story, without a name still--I have just referred to it as My story for ten years, or to my own self, by the name of the folder where all the documents are: The Monster--has occupied my thoughts to varying degrees the past decade.  There have been times, usually the summers in high school, when my characters occupied a real and active part of my imagination and thoughts.  Of late, there have been no thoughts, except as it relates to the sigh, "I really should finish my story..."

I began reading through Part One yesterday and made it through 29 of the 37 pages. I was surprised by some of the things that I had added through the years--having nearly forgotten many of the small details that had been added since the original drafting of Part One ten years ago.  (Interesting to note: when I wrote Part One as a twelve-year-old, I thought it was all I would write about the Setay's and Egerth's.  Only, come to find out, it now has four other parts and it has morphed into something quite different, yet retaining the main premise of that first draft.)  I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things I had written.  That may seem vain of me, but it's true.  I honestly had forgotten in the past three years what I had written probably five or six years ago.

So the journey begins again: I am going to wade through The Monster that has taken over my imagination and storage space on my computer for the past ten years and for once I am going to get it into the shape and story that I like. From there, we shall see.  Perhaps then step two may finally emerge: maybe I will get it published, or try to at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...