Sunday, May 19, 2013

Why Foreign Films are Awesome

Lately...for the past five years...I've been on this kick with foreign films.  Don't get me wrong--I love good-ol' contemporary American movies (about superheroes and Disney characters).  However, the past few days I've only watched foreign or classic films and I feel like my "movie-watching experience" has been improved because of it.  My horizons are widened, I'm subjected to more delicate film subtleties (in some cases), and I feel like I'm actually learning something, not just merely being entertained.

Thursday evening I watched Children of Heaven. From imdb: When Ali loses his sister's shoes, the two decide to share his to avoid getting in trouble.


Isn't this the cutest boy in the world?
From this movie I learned the joys and scariness of being a kid again.  I was exposed to the 1997 life in Iran--homes, clothing, schools.  I saw the care that a boy had for his little sister. It was an adorable movie that ends somewhat unsatisfactory because you know there will most likely be closure but the director leaves it up to the viewer. (Note: In Persian, originating from Iran)

Friday night I watched Anna Karenina. From imdb: Stefan and Dolly Oblonsky have had a little spat and Stefan has asked his sister, Anna Karenina, to come down to Moscow to help mend the rift.  Anna's companion on the train from St. Petersburg is Countess Vronsky who is met at the Moscow station by her son. Col. Vronsky looks very dashing in his uniform and it's love at first sight when he looks at Anna and their eyes meet.  Back in St. Petersburg they keep running into each other at parties.  Since she has a husband and a small son, they must be very discreet if they are going to see each other alone.
Rather different than the Kiera Knightly portrayal
Even though I knew what this movie would be like since I read the book in high school, it had been seven years since I read it. I was surprised by some of the turns of events, though the basic premise of a woman deciding she was unhappy in her marriage, abandoning her husband and son to go off with a lover, was known to me.  My biggest problem with this movie (and probably the newer version though I haven't seen it) is that it only focuses on the Anna Karenina part of Tolstoy's novel. I know that's who the book/movie is named after, but Tolstoy is a genius and put a foil in his novel--Kitty and her husband.  There is probably a total of two minutes in this movie that shows how Kitty's life is in complete contrast to Anna's all because of the choices she made.  I do like Vivien Leigh and she did a good job being a sassy, unsatisfied wife and paranoid lover.  I did learn that again, I don't think I would want to live in Russia in the winter. It looks stinkin' cold! (Note: In English, originating from the UK)

Saturday I watched Le Ballon Rouge (The Red Balloon) and Jodhaa Akbar.

From imdb: A red balloon with a life of its own follows a little boy around the streets of Paris.



This boy is delightful! And so is his balloon.
The only word for this 34 minute film is delightful!  The red balloon in the midst of the grays of the area of Paris the boy goes through is beautiful and the boy's relationship with the balloon is so cute. The end also makes me think that that is where the makers of Up! got their idea of traveling by balloon. (Note: What talking there is is in French and it originates from France)


From imdb: A sixteenth century love story about a marriage of alliance that gave birth to true love between a great Mughal emperor, Akbar, and a Rajput princess, Jodhaa.


Emperor Jalal Mohammad and Jodhaa fighting to resolve a dispute 

In this four hour long movie, you are taken through the history of the Mughal (Muslim) take over of Hindustan (India).  There is somewhat gory fighting at the beginning, but the majority involves the political tension that erupts when Emperor Jalal Mohammad married the Rajput princess, Jodhaa.  The Emperor is Muslim and Jodhaa is a Hindu.  Despite his fervor as a Muslim--in fact, only agreeing to marry Jodhaa because he receives an answer from Allah after praying about what to do (should he marry the "infidel" or not?) and feels that Allah wants him to for the benefit of uniting his country--he believes in religious tolerance and acceptance of other religions.  He also went against the stereotype of being a brutal, bloodthirsty ruler; instead he was compassionate, merciful, and forgiving. He made mistakes, but Jodhaa helped him through her blunt simplicity by telling him what he should do to amend his mistakes.

This isn't a typical Bollywood movie. There is a great deal less singing and dancing than in other Bollywood movies I have seen. The singing and dancing that does take place is in ceremonies that would normally take place in the 16th century life.  Also, no swearing or nudity of any kind.  I loved this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if I watch it again soon. (Note: Language is Hindi; originates from India)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...