Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 19: Picnics, Cemeteries, & Talking to Family

After church on Sunday, a group of us (some from study abroad, some from the ward), went to a nearby park and had a picnic. It was really fun and really relaxing. We had some bread, cheese, sauscisson sec (which is kind of like beef jerky only better), yogurt, chocolate, and oranges to eat. Overall, not a bad turnout for a rather last-minute-notice picnic. I got to know two people better that day: Camille & Todd. Camille is here in Paris going to school as a study abroad experience. She goes to school in Georgia normally and she is from Rexburg, Idaho. We had a good conversation about what is publicly acceptable in France as opposed to in America, which may actually help me with my 445 paper. Todd is here on an internship. He graduated from Utah State in December with a business degree. He went to school with Kris Kelley Cutler and Jeff Barrus, which I thought was pretty fun because of the different ways that I know both Kris and Jeff. He did mention that he had a teacher with my last name at South Jordan Middle School and asked if I was related; I said I wasn't sure, but I didn't think so.

After the picnic, Grace, Judy, Katherine, Camille, and I went to the Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise, one of the most famous cemeteries in Paris because of all the famous people buried there. It is set up so it is kind of like a little city, with mostly upright tombs and pathways and street names. Much different than the cemeteries in Michigan.


(Pere-Lachaise Cemetery)

(Pere-Lachaise Cemetery)

There was a tomb that had two crying statues that I thought were beautifully made, and while the statues may be crying because those who had the tomb built didn't understand that death was not the end, it also reminded me of how we can and should and have covenanted to mourn with those that mourn. That even with our understanding and our testimonies about life after death, there is still a mourning process and even just being there and weeping with them can help people through that process.

(One of the crying statues)
I also really liked the Monument aux Morts which was created on behalf of all the dead in the cemetery.


(It is interesting to note that there is a man and a woman entering together on the top half of the monument.)
(The inscription goes along with the title: Monument aux Morts and reads: "on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light shines.")

I had to cut my visit short at the cemetery so I could make my way to a computer so I could talk to my family. Todd lives somewhat close to the cemetery (much closer than the Vesinet) and he had a computer with a camera and mic capabilities so he said I could use his computer. We made it as quickly as we could, but we rely on public transportation so we didn't arrive at his apartment until 5:10. I was on the computer by 5:15, but I was 15 minutes late. I was a little bit sad because no one was on and I thought I wouldn't be able to talk to my family that week. But I managed to eventually sort of talk with my Dad, but we decided to just try to talk later that night when everyone would be back from church--which would be 11pm my time.

Accordingly, at eleven I was online. We managed to make it work. At one point, Dad's face froze up with a hilarious expression and I could not stop laughing. It was so funny. Even when I think about it now, it makes me laugh. Mostly I was just happy to see and talk to my family. It had been a long week, I'd had an unusual amount of time to think and observe and self-evaluate and I just needed people who know me and love me. Even though I was tired, I was really grateful to talk to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...