Saturday, May 8, 2010

Days 9-11: Des promenades à Paris


(Warning this is a really long post. I apologize in advance; it covers three very full days)


Day 9: Thursday, 6 May 2010: Latin Quarter, etc.; Institute

This was the Latin Quarter walk day. It was funny because my first thought when I heard the term “Latin Quarter” was a place where there would be those from Latin America with spicy food. This Utah/Western schema was quickly changed as I read through the description of the walk.



I loved la Cathédral de Saint Severin. I had gone to see this cathedral on Saturday with Grace and her friend Catherine, but I hadn’t taken any pictures then. I was grateful I was able to take some pictures this time around. I also loved the Cour de Commerce Saint-André. While the oldest café was a remarkable treat, I just loved the milieu of the place. It was extremely quaint and poetical. It was pushed back from all the rest of the busy streets. If I really lived in Paris, I would probably frequent that street often because of the feeling that was there of knowing I was in Paris but not part of “the busy the millions” as e.e. cummings put it.


(Cour de Commerce
Saint-André)



I was extremely disappointed that the religieuse place was no longer there. We hadn’t looked at the errata sheet during the walk until we got to this point in the walk, so I had been anticipating getting a delicious religieuse, only to be let down. That’s okay; I was able to get a sandwich later.

I went to Institute later that night. It was such a great experience! I didn't speak much (as I would have in an English-speaking Institute) except to the woman sitting next to me, named Naomi. But I got to listen a lot. The lesson was on Ether 6-15. We covered so many different topics and scriptures. It was fabulous. I need to be more bold because after Institute cookies were served upstairs but I didn't really talk to anyone... The group went over to McDo's after the cookies (it's their tradition) and I talked with Lehi on the way over there, but it was in English, probably because he figured I'd be more comfortable speaking in English (which is true, but not the reason why I'm in France). Next week I'll make sure to speak to others in French...and not just be silent.

Day 10: Friday, 7 May 2010: Jardin du Luxembourg, Saint-Roche, Sacre Coeur


Today I went with Paris and Rachel on this and the following walk. It was a little difficult at first to find the skyscraper Montparnasse because we were standing right underneath it, but then we looked up and realized that we had found it. I really enjoyed the detour to see the statue of Alfred Dreyfus. When I took 362 last spring term my group did research, a presentation, and a synthèse on Alfred Dreyfus. It was great to actually see it, explain the significance of the statue and the event to Rachel and Paris, and to get a picture with it. It really is out of the way and no one really notices it.

(Standing by the statue of Alfred Dreyfus)
We did stop at the gelato place mentioned in the walk. I felt really proud of myself because I ordered my gelato to have half of one and half of another and the woman totally understood me and didn’t speak to me in English and gave me exactly what I’d ordered. I was really happy at that moment.
(Rachel and me with our gelato)

Les jardins du Luxembourg were beautiful! Even though it was overcast and somewhat dreary, it was still such a beautiful garden. I think that was my favorite part of the whole walk. I really loved the statues of the twenty queens surrounding the esplanade. I wish I could have gotten a picture of each one of them, but instead I only took two up-close pictures. The detail and majesty of the statues is amazing! I was intrigued by the statue of Laure de Noves because it was mentioned in the walk, but also because I thought it was beautiful and she didn’t have a title with her (like Marguerite D’Angouleme, Reine de Navarre). I looked her up on Wikipedia and it seems that they don’t have much information about her at all, though they think she is the Laura that Petrarch was in love with and wrote lots of his poetry to. Interesting. I think her statue is beautiful; it has a lot of grace and dignity.



(Imitating the Duchess d'Orleans statue)


(Laure de Nove)
(Standing in front of Palais du Luxembourg)


(Flowers in Luxembourg Garden)
Paris, Rachel and I followed the Luxembourg walk with this walk because we were incredibly motivated and there was a lot of day left. We had a probably with directions (perhaps because our feet were tired and our brains weren’t working and there were a lot of people on the street) so we walked about ¾ of a mile in the wrong direction, then turned around, walked back, then walked about ½ past the place where we were supposed to turn onto Place Diaghilev. So we had to turn back again, then we walked all the way around the Opéra Garnier. We wanted to walk around the Opéra but there was a rehearsal going on so we wouldn’t have been able to see the auditorium. However, in the future I am planning on going in there—whether it’s just on a self-directed tour or if I go see a ballet while I am here.
I loved our visit of Saint-Roch! I would have thought that my interest in cathedrals would diminish or that I would think “Oh look, another cathedral” as I go from cathedral to cathedral, but my interest actually increases. Saint-Roch is a beautiful cathedral! It has white walls (well, comparatively white; it is probably what Chartres used to look like before it got all covered in ash and dirt) and beautiful ceiling paintings.
I loved standing in the main aisle and looking down—you can see the depiction of the manger scene and then behind that is Christ on the cross with His mother at His feet. It is just beautiful. I may start researching more into cathedrals when I have free time…or when I make free time.
(Painted ceiling in Saint-Roche)
(Manger scene in Saint-Roche)

(Crucifiction scene in Saint-Roche)
Our walk ended with a statue of Jeanne d’Arc, one of my heroines. I want to research more into her life too.

(Joan of Arc statue)



After this walk, I went and sat in the gardens by the Louvre and read my book, Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong. I'm almost done! I waited for Grace, Catherine and Mathilde who were going through the Louvre. A group of us went to eat at a Thai restaurant over by Sacre Coeur last night. Good food! I had to climb under the table (very gauche) to get to the bathroom because I was boxed in, which meant that I had to climb back under the table to get back to my spot. Even though it was gauche, it was really fun too. After our Thai restaurant adventure, a smaller group of us went to Sacre Coeur to see the basilica but also to see the city at night and watch the glitter/light show at la Tour d'Eiffel at 11pm. It was pretty; I love the basilica! I didn't walk through it because they were having a service, but I did see the inside from the far end of the building. I'll go inside it on one of my walks.
Day 11: Saturday, 8 May 2010: Palais Royal & think time
I went on this walk with Grace, Judy, and Catherine (Grace’s friend). It was a beautifully warm day which definitely enhanced the beauty and enjoyment of this walk, even though it was not a strenuous walk at all. I loved the double colonnade in the Palais Royal and even though the black and white sculptures are controversial (or were when they were added in 1986)I loved them! It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland or a giant game of checkers (with the larger statues being king pieces).
(Beth and the controversial statues)

(In the Palais Royal courtyard)



I also loved the fountains with the huge spheres. There was a cute boy who was running around one of the fountains but became upset when he saw us taking pictures because “Il n’aime pas des photos” said his mother.
(Spherical fountain)
(Little boy who doesn't like to have his picture taken)
After looking at the Bibliothèque nationale (French National Library), we ended up going across the street from it and spending an hour and a half in the public garden with the fountain there.
(the fountain at the public garden we stopped at)
It was definitely worth the stop for me. Like those who work on their dissertations in the Bibliothèque nationale who spend hours pouring over books and journals and documents and spend thousands more hours thinking, planning, and writing their dissertations—I used my time in that public garden to soak in some sun, write in my journal my thoughts and impressions of being here and my goals for life. I was also able to think deeply about my purpose in life and what it is that I need to learn here in France and what I have learned already. It was a perfectly timed tender mercy that we stopped at that park today on this walk, being surrounded by grandeur and nature, and reflecting on where all of that fits into the Plan and into my own specific plan.
On the RER on the way back to le Vesinet, I didn't have anything to read (because I just brought my journal with me to Paris today, not a book to read) so I was watching people. There was a father there with his two sons--one in a stroller, probably about 1 1/2, and the other was probably about 3. They were adorable, with curly hair and dark brown eyes. The little boy in the stroller was asleep and every once and a while he would rub his nose or eyes in his sleep and then try to find a comfortable position to let his head fall in. It was so cute!
I can't wait for church tomorrow! I love church. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...