Monday, May 24, 2010

Normandy

Since I haven't written about Normandy yet (and I said I would) here is a little bit how my trip in Normandy went on Thursday:

Nannick, Grace and I piled into Nannick's little car with a basket full of food for our picnic and Nannick began driving. I don't even know all the places that we drove through and by, I just know that I loved it! I remarked to Nannick and Grace that it was a little like a mixture of Michigan and Idaho--Michigan because it is so green, Idaho because of the rolling hills. It was kind of a surreal experience because I kept thinking about Dad and how much Dad loves Normandy and there I was. In Normandy!
(Normandy countryside)
Nannick stopped at Eglise Troglodytique de l'Annonciation--a church (or fortress) that was built into the hill. I took a picture because it was so cool looking.

(That church/fortress in the side of the hill)

We drove a bit more and then stopped in a quaint little village next to the Seine for our picnic.

(This was our lunch; this picture is for you, Mary)
(View from our picnic spot of the Seine)
We went to visit the chateau that was there, but it was closed because of renovations, so we used to the bathroom and continued our journey in the car.
(View of the chateau as we walked towards it after our picnic)

We ended up stopping in some town where Chateau Gaillard is located. It was a cool castle. I took lots of pictures because I thought Jacob would like to see a real castle since he likes stories with castles and magic, etc.

(View of the valley from the top, right by Chateau Gaillard)

(Walking up to the ruins)

(Looking down on the city below the castle)

(Layout of the castle)
(Beth and the chateau ruins)
(View of the moat)

2 comments:

  1. Would you happen to remember the name of the castle that was in ruins? I'm looking for pictures of the chateau de damville, which I've read about in books, but never saw a picture.

    Thank you. You're pictures are beautiful.

    Joanne Rodgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not certain of the name of this particular castle. There wasn't a sign that I can recall.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...